The fundamental mission of B. Com in BANKING and FINANCE is to expose and equip the learners with commercial theory, skills, competencies and knowledge required to seize opportunities and make them into successes, and to adapt to challenges and dynamic changes when they occur in any Financial sectors.
Purpose Of Programme
The fundamental mission of B. Com in BANKING and FINANCE is to expose and equip the learners with commercial theory, skills, competencies and knowledge required to seize opportunities and make them into successes, and to adapt to challenges and dynamic changes when they occur in any Financial sectors. Graduates of this learning programme will be able to integrate best practices involved in the management of financial institution through adherence to the professional, regulatory and legal requirements guiding financial practitioners. Furthermore, graduates are able to think and work under pressure with creativity, leadership and enterprise skills.
By the end of the Course period learners should be able to:
- Demonstrate broad and coherent knowledge of the theoretical and professional disciplines of banking, finance, investment analysis, portfolio management, accountancy, economics, quantitative methods, law, and the Financial Services Industry.
- Exercise informed commercial judgment within a professional setting which emphasizes ethical and responsible decision making.
- Integrate technical and conceptual knowledge, and interpersonal skills to work effectively within the Financial Services Industry.
- Acquire and synthesize information within a complex banking and finance setting.
- Think critically and creatively to identify better solutions within banking and financial constraints.
- Work collaboratively with others to solve applied banking and finance problems.
- Communicate and explain specialized technical advice, knowledge and ideas, toprofessionals and non-experts involved with the Financial Services Industry.
- BGCSE or equivalent (Best 6 subjects, 36 points and above)
- OVC / RAC / SEN (Best 6 subjects, 31 points and above)
- NCQF Level 4 in TVET (in relevant certificate IV)
- Discontinued OVC / RAC / SEN.
- Mature Entry is provided for candidates who meet the necessary criteria.
- Progression / Reinstatements students considered based on recognition of prior learning (RPL).
- Introduction to Accounting and Finance
- Introduction to Business Statistics
- Information Communication Technology
- Business Communications
- Introduction to Banking and Finance
- Financial Accounting
- Business Economics
- Business Law
- Company Accounts
- Botswana Corporate Taxation
- Customer Relationship Management
- Business Statistics
- Risk Control and Strategies
- Financial Statement Analysis
- Managerial Accounting
- Stock Market and Investments
- Treasury Management
- Research Methods
- Entrepreneurship Management
- Information Technology in Banking
- Commercial Banking
- Corporate Finance
- Financial Instruments and Markets
- Business Environment
- Management of Financial Institutions
- Corporate Strategy
- International Banking
- International Financial Markets and Institutions
- Corporate Governance and Ethics
- Industrial Attachment
The Banking and Finance qualification holder(s) is unique and in that the skills involved can be easily be transferred into a variety of well-compensated specialty areas to be employed as:
- Asset Manager
- Agent and Broker
- Assistant Accountant
- Credit and Risk Manager
- Development Officer
- Equity Research Analyst
- Internal Auditor
- Investment Banker
- Insurance Manager
- Investment Analyst
- Loan Officer
- Loan Counsellor
- Loss Control Specialist
- Market Analyst
- Marketing Manager
- Marketing and Sales Executive
- Personal Financial Advisor
- Risk Analyst
- Recovery Agent
- Sales Officer
- Stock Analyst
- Sales Manager
- Securities Analyst
- Sales Representative