Post Graduate Diploma in Higher Education (PGDHE)
Post Graduate Diploma in Higher Education is designed to foster a scholarly and professional approach to university teaching, assessment and curriculum design. The PGDHE will provide lecturers with the opportunity to gain an accredited qualification that is comparable to those offered at top universities globally. It will contribute to enhancing the quality of teaching and learning in the university.
Purpose Of Programme
The fundamental mission of Post Graduate Diploma in Higher Education program is to educate and train higher caliber, technology literate Higher Education Professionals with ethical values who are equipped with up-to-date higher education information and who have the ability to make decisions and put them into action. The Post Graduate Diploma in Higher Education Program was developed to equip the students with Education Practice techniques both in theory, application and information technology skills applied in Tertiary Education sector.
Students graduating from the Post Graduate Diploma in Higher Education had the ability to transform the theoretical knowledge obtained throughout their studies into practice, through learning how to utilize rapidly developing information technologies widely used by the Tertiary Education sector. Our students can easily find jobs in Public and Private Institutions of Learning. Students are taught both Higher Education theory and practical skills in a supportive and challenging environment. The program is committed to enhance and encourage the critical thinking skills, communication, computer and organization skills. Students are encouraged to pursue academic excellence, professional growth and high ethical standards.
The objectives of the program are to instill knowledge and values through generic Higher Education competencies such as Pedagogy, Curriculum Development, Assessment, Moderation and Evaluation in Higher Education, E-learning, Planning and Material Development and Africanisation and internationalization of Higher Education, as well as generic technical competencies.
- Apply knowledge, values teaching learning perspectives essential to the teaching profession.
- Demonstrate expertise in applying synthesising and analysing teachers’ work.
- Demonstrate familiarity with and ability to adapt to the everyday life of the school and class of requiring skills in interpersonal relations and communications, and knowledge of action research through the successful completion of portfolios, projects and or other assignments.
By the end of the Course period learners should be able to:
- Assess the nature of learning in higher education.
- Interpret curriculum Development within an outcomes-based framework in Higher Education.
- Involve participants in theoretical understanding of assessment and principles of evaluation in higher education by enabling participants to evaluate their own practice as educators.
- Design and develop eLearning resources (content and activities).
- Implement processes for academic leadership in higher education.
- Ensure Internationalisation is infused in the curricula and to play a role in the process of internationalisation at the University.
- Use their research knowledge, skills and competence in a practical research project which is aligned to their areas of specialization and organization of their choice.
- Conduct attachment at the organisations of their choice to allow them to acquire deeper knowledge in the field of specialization.
- Undergraduate Bachelor’s Degree who want to practice lecturing as a profession.
- Master’s Degree who want to study and specialize in Lectureship.
- Doctor of Philosophy who would want to study and specialize in Lectureship.
- Mature Entry is provided for candidates who meet the necessary criteria set by the individual ETPs in accordance with their respective policies and regulations for admission. Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) and CATS will be provided for, and candidates will have to meet the necessary criteria set by the individual ETPs in accordance with their respective policies and regulations for RPL and CATS.
- Learning and Teaching in Higher Education
- Information and Communication Technology
- Curriculum Development
- Assessment in Higher Education
- Technology and Pedagogy in Higher Education
- Assessment and Moderation of Curricula in Higher Education
- E-Learning in Higher Education
- Supervision of Undergraduate Research in Higher Education
- Social Inclusion in Higher Education (HIV-AIDS and Gender Issues)
- Leadership and Management in Higher Education
- Strategic Higher Education
- Industrial Attachment (Practice, Reflection and Practicum)
- Sustainability in Higher Education
- Diversity and the Student in Higher Education
Graduates from the Post Graduate Diploma in Higher Education will have requisite competencies and attributes to work as:
- Professional Curriculum Developers
- Education Officers
- Head Masters